Skip to main content

I Have FFS....

Yes, folks. I have it. I've had it all my life. Struggled with it all my life and I think I will struggle with it all my life. I've had and still have a love affair with food. I love it when I'm happy. And I love it when I'm down. I love it when I'm celebrating. And I love it when I'm not. Dr. Phil has no cure for me. I just love it. And now since I've been eating better and lighter I have diagnosed this problem that I have mentioned. I think I know how to overcome it since I am an overcomer. But man, it's hard. This syndrome, this thing is called...the Forbidden Fruit Syndrome...FFS. If only it was fruit that was forbidden, but no. See, back in the garden when the serpent, who was really satan, tempted Eve, he told her that God really didn't want her to have the "benefits" that came from eating that fruit. She tried to shut his mouth by saying that God told her she could eat from the thousands of trees and the fruit they grew just not that one. Then she began to wonder..."hmmm, it really does look good and I really want it. So what will it hurt if I just tasted it?" Well, darn it Eve, a whole mess of women have a bone to pick with you when we get to heaven. Now, we all struggle with what we can't have but want. The more they tell us we can't have it the more we want it, right?! I mean, your new diet tells you not to have cheesecake. And then the only thing that you seem to think about, dream about, talk about is...cheesecake. We can get more real here...some have had affairs. And my husband and I have counseled countless couples on their marriages after and even during their affairs. We have found that women are really getting the hang of this affair thing. I think it has something to do with women's lib and this whole thing about men and women being equal...but I'm no Dr. Phil. Regardless of the reason, it's true and it's happening. Well, after speaking with the person who had the affair we find that after the intimate part, you know, the sex, it really wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The 10 minutes it took was unfulfilling and the guilt afterwards was nauseating. A lot of damage done for 10 minutes of unfulfilling pleasure(less). Crazy, but true.
God tells us that everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial. Think of this and put your own words in the designated areas. Cheesecake is permissible but cheesecake is not always beneficial. You can have an affair but how is this beneficial to you and your family and his or her (if you're a man) family. Think about that. Will the 10 minutes of pleasure(less) mean all that when you have kids and spouses involved. Trust and a life built destroyed?
God has empowered us with His Holy Spirit to do as Joseph did and flee temptation. He did what was honorable and right. He was a man, after all, no one would have known about his affair with his bosses wife, but He knew that he was accountable to God and that was enough. Think of those who did not curb their temptations, like Samson and even King David. Samson had to have what he wanted when he wanted it and ultimately it led to his demise. David too. David should have been on the battlefield with his men, but instead he got lazy and stayed home. While staying home he saw a woman taking a bath. He sent for her and they were together. She was a married woman of one of the most loyal soldiers in his army. He had that man (an honest and Godly man) put to death on the frontline in battle to hide his sin. It all spiraled out of control. Not quite like my eating issues, but close. How will my eating now effect my life tomorrow? How will it affect my husband and children? How will it affect my ministry and it's effectiveness?
Being tempted is not an issue, giving in to the temptation is. How do we kick temptation to the curb? We do it by running from the situation that is causing the problem. We do it by being saturated in prayer and sometimes just by whispering a prayer for help. Fighting is not easy but sometimes fighting (the temptation) is what we must do. In order to have the body and health we want we must fight the cravings and temptations. In order to have the marriage and family we want we must stay away from "business" lunches that are really a flirting session. We must keep our husbands and children in mind when some dope tries to lay the compliments on thick. See beyond that and tell him to try that on someone else. We must talk to God and pray and surround ourselves with people who are going to support us.
God is my source and I know that when I call on Him He will answer. He's like that. Ready and willing to respond when His children cry out to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleeping Giant Needs to Wake Up!

Lately, I have been reading articles and watching the news and noticing that there is a trend going on. I don't know if you have noticed it or not. You may even be experiencing it at work or in your own community. Last night I read an article about ABC wanting to pilot a show called, "Good Christian B****es." It is a show about women in the church and their depiction. It is similar to "Desperate Housewives" in a whole other form. When the periodical "Christianity Today" was contacted about how offensive the name and content of the show was to them, they chose not to fall for the trap. But someone did say in the same article, "I would highly doubt that you would see a show titled, "Good Muslim B****es" or "Good Jewish B****es." Why is it okay for Christians to be bashed and depicted in such a manner. I am not naive to think that we are perfect or gossip-free. I have been in ministry long enough to know that we struggle with the

Push Me and I'll Push Harder

This week has been a week of intense emotion on many different levels. My husband was hospitalized after a misdiagnosis that could have been almost fatal had we not persisted in getting him to a different hospital. What should have been a minor procedure of removing a sick appendix turned out to be much worse because of the lapsed time between the misdiagnosis and the actual diagnosis. To see my husband, a strong and independent man, healthy and beautiful so drained and sick, made me sad and angry. I could not understand why this was happening, especially to him. During the surgery, I get a call from my mother that my youngest was sick with a fever. I was so torn and could not seem to take it anymore. My insides were a mess and all I wanted to do was scream, run and breakdown. I did cry, and thankfully, I had two really good friends by my side that encouraged me and really helped me along. My husband ended up staying in the hospital for an entire week, due to the infection and post-op

Crazy Like Life

Man, it's been crazy around here lately. I thought that after the holidays things would begin to slow down a bit. But I must say that the speed of life has gained momentum. Totally NUTS. But this is my life. Seasons come and seasons go. At Transformation Church things are more amazing every week. People are coming from all over to begin their spiritual journey. What an honor!!! That they would choose to come to TC. That they trust us enough to start here. There is a bible verse that says, " But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." When we gather as a team on Monday mornings to pray for the needs of our church, for the needs our community we are humbled to know that God would use us to do this great work, to think that He would choose us. With all sincerity, we weep at this knowledge. So as God continues to bring lives to us here @ TC things are getting busier. But man, are we excited! An