Skip to main content

Married and Watching the "How to Be Single Life"

I don't know what I was thinking. Really! It was a moment of insanity or wanting a girls night or maybe wanting a good laugh. I can't tell you exactly what it was but I did it. I went to see "How to Be Single." I usually research any movie we watch as a family or that my kids want to watch. But I actually thought this movie would be a cross between "My Greek Fat Greek Wedding" and "The Notebook." I thought it would be clever and funny and silly. But what I got was raunchy, nasty, way too sexual and just plain not funny. There was no depth to any of the characters, they were either high, drunk, having a crisis or sleeping and kissing with someone. I sure pray that this generation isn't doing life like this. I didn't hear shock or disbelief in the crowd that I was in. I heard tons of laughter. I had every intention of walking out after the first scene which I was mortified at because I had invited. two. ladies. from. MY. CHURCH!!!! I thought I was going to DIE! I was horrified, sick, overwhelmed, confused...and asking myself, "What the heck am I doing here?!" The actress I went to see Rebel Wilson was hilarious in "Night of the Museum" so I thought this would carry over to this film but I was so disappointed. She cursed all the time, she was drunk or high the entire time and she was sleeping with every man she met. I think I had my eyes covered a lot of the time for fear of what I might see.
So what is my advice? Please review your movies. Please review your movies. Please review your movies. As I sat there I felt out of place. I felt that I did not belong there. I didn't feel superior or better than anyone else I just felt as if God was saying, "What do light and darkness have in common? Nada!" I felt sad that this is acceptable behavior and I pray for our young people. I pray for a change of heart and that their hearts will be turned back to the Lord their true Love. I was also so thankful for my husband, that I am married and not single in this crazy jungle of a world. I took in a deep breath as I walked out of the theater and was thankful to be going home to my awesome, wonderful, sexy husband and my two wonderful boys.
I must say that my boys were "shocked" that I had gone to see a rated "R" movie (and by the way I didn't even check the rating...I am so bad). Am I naive to what is out there? Really? I never thought it was like that. We must invest in our young people and young adults. Speak into their lives and let them know that they don't need to look for love "in all the wrong places." That they can wait until they are married for their love and enjoy intimacy the way God meant it to be.
I apologize to my two homies. I love you both. Next time (I promise there won't be a next time) please pull me from the edge and give me some coffee and chocolate, that should do the job.
And to you all, I promise to review any movies I want to see soon. I did mention that already though, right? Oh and by the way, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" is coming out, who wants to join me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleeping Giant Needs to Wake Up!

Lately, I have been reading articles and watching the news and noticing that there is a trend going on. I don't know if you have noticed it or not. You may even be experiencing it at work or in your own community. Last night I read an article about ABC wanting to pilot a show called, "Good Christian B****es." It is a show about women in the church and their depiction. It is similar to "Desperate Housewives" in a whole other form. When the periodical "Christianity Today" was contacted about how offensive the name and content of the show was to them, they chose not to fall for the trap. But someone did say in the same article, "I would highly doubt that you would see a show titled, "Good Muslim B****es" or "Good Jewish B****es." Why is it okay for Christians to be bashed and depicted in such a manner. I am not naive to think that we are perfect or gossip-free. I have been in ministry long enough to know that we struggle with the

Seasons Change

  Wow! I can hardly believe that summer is over. I too am in denial. Even as I shop for school supplies and school clothes. It has gone so fast. I guess I am one of the few that hates when the kids go back to school. I like hanging out with them in their PJ's until right before dinner. And I love being out of that stringent routine. Now we return to rushing around in the mornings, rushing to pick up the cuties, homework and dinner all at the same time, then some fun, then bedtime. But in between all that is basketball and football and church activities. Doesn't it just make your head spin? I love being a mom. I love being a wife. I love being a Pastor's Wife and being in full-time ministry. I love that I have girlfriends that I can hang with and be myself with (almost). But sometimes I want to run out in the wild, screaming and pulling out my hair.   In all of these areas, seasons do change. I will always be a mom but my boys won't always be home to be taken care of

Push Me and I'll Push Harder

This week has been a week of intense emotion on many different levels. My husband was hospitalized after a misdiagnosis that could have been almost fatal had we not persisted in getting him to a different hospital. What should have been a minor procedure of removing a sick appendix turned out to be much worse because of the lapsed time between the misdiagnosis and the actual diagnosis. To see my husband, a strong and independent man, healthy and beautiful so drained and sick, made me sad and angry. I could not understand why this was happening, especially to him. During the surgery, I get a call from my mother that my youngest was sick with a fever. I was so torn and could not seem to take it anymore. My insides were a mess and all I wanted to do was scream, run and breakdown. I did cry, and thankfully, I had two really good friends by my side that encouraged me and really helped me along. My husband ended up staying in the hospital for an entire week, due to the infection and post-op