Skip to main content

The Holidays are Here...Stressed or Excited?!

I just can't believe that the holidays are here. Next week is Thanksgiving...OMG! My oldest shared that scary truth with me last night. I broke out in a cold sweat with heart palpitations and all.
I have gotten stressed just thinking about it all in the past. And I still do especially when the in-laws come to stay. I adore them but you know how it is, you dust in areas that you haven't dusted in since last Thanksgiving, the pillows have to be just right, the fridge needs to be stocked with their favorite things to eat and drink. Now, I know they don't come to give me the eye, but at least until they've settled down for a few minutes, I want them to see the house neat and orderly. Then after that, "Who cares?!" LOL, break out the Egg Nog (non-alcoholic version, of course).
My parents will be here and my sister and her family, my brothers and their children, aunts, cousins, nieces and nephews, friends and Speedy, our Beta Fish. It's going to be a great weekend. It is also our oldest 13th Birthday...Can you believe it?! I can't. It's crazy. Time has gone by so fast.
So my menu is extensive since we have to have Puerto Rican, Italian, and All-American fare. We will have pies and eggplant parm, pasteles and turkey, arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas) and sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce and gravy...I'm getting hungry and salivating at the same time just thinking about it. And of course, I have to make it all from scratch.
I have decided to call in the reinforcements and have my sister and mom bake some stuff and have my grandmother make the arroz con gandules (she is a master at Puerto Rican food). My husband will carve the turkey and all will be well with the world. I refuse to be stressed. Except that I want the table to look magnificent with candles and greenery and linens and such. Okay, I'm excited now...hehehe.
I would love to hear from you...what are your family favorites? What do you like to cook up? Is it traditional or exotic? Do you do paper plates (how I love those things) or do you do linens and crystal? Share with me some destressers and share with me some family traditions.
I almost forgot that we do have one family tradition that has lasted since Jack Black decided to say, "Nachooooooooooooo." Yes, folks, we do sit down and watch "Nacho Libre" it is one of our favorite movies and we love to hear my husband, Joe and my brother-in-law, Nik,  laugh so hard they cry. They mouth the words and everything...something about the baptizing part that gets them everytime. I don't think it has anything to do with them being pastors. Yea, right.
Whatever you do make some great memories, even if you have lost something or someone this year. Love and laugh and eat (calories don't count till you're counting them after the New Year). And first and foremost, remember to be thankful to our amazing God for His goodness to us. Even though my life is not near perfect He has provided for me and mine, taken care of us and loved us enough to give up His own Son so that I may live. So as you sit around your table with your family and friends or you may be sitting alone, take time to find something to be thankful for, I know there is something. We go around the room during Thanksgiving and we all share one or two things we are thankful for, yes, we all end up crying but wow, it does feel good to be sharing that with those closest to us, those we are thankful for.
I am thankful for you. And I pray that this holiday season will be filled with good things and that the new year would be filled with new beginnings and dreams being fulfilled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleeping Giant Needs to Wake Up!

Lately, I have been reading articles and watching the news and noticing that there is a trend going on. I don't know if you have noticed it or not. You may even be experiencing it at work or in your own community. Last night I read an article about ABC wanting to pilot a show called, "Good Christian B****es." It is a show about women in the church and their depiction. It is similar to "Desperate Housewives" in a whole other form. When the periodical "Christianity Today" was contacted about how offensive the name and content of the show was to them, they chose not to fall for the trap. But someone did say in the same article, "I would highly doubt that you would see a show titled, "Good Muslim B****es" or "Good Jewish B****es." Why is it okay for Christians to be bashed and depicted in such a manner. I am not naive to think that we are perfect or gossip-free. I have been in ministry long enough to know that we struggle with the

Seasons Change

  Wow! I can hardly believe that summer is over. I too am in denial. Even as I shop for school supplies and school clothes. It has gone so fast. I guess I am one of the few that hates when the kids go back to school. I like hanging out with them in their PJ's until right before dinner. And I love being out of that stringent routine. Now we return to rushing around in the mornings, rushing to pick up the cuties, homework and dinner all at the same time, then some fun, then bedtime. But in between all that is basketball and football and church activities. Doesn't it just make your head spin? I love being a mom. I love being a wife. I love being a Pastor's Wife and being in full-time ministry. I love that I have girlfriends that I can hang with and be myself with (almost). But sometimes I want to run out in the wild, screaming and pulling out my hair.   In all of these areas, seasons do change. I will always be a mom but my boys won't always be home to be taken care of

Push Me and I'll Push Harder

This week has been a week of intense emotion on many different levels. My husband was hospitalized after a misdiagnosis that could have been almost fatal had we not persisted in getting him to a different hospital. What should have been a minor procedure of removing a sick appendix turned out to be much worse because of the lapsed time between the misdiagnosis and the actual diagnosis. To see my husband, a strong and independent man, healthy and beautiful so drained and sick, made me sad and angry. I could not understand why this was happening, especially to him. During the surgery, I get a call from my mother that my youngest was sick with a fever. I was so torn and could not seem to take it anymore. My insides were a mess and all I wanted to do was scream, run and breakdown. I did cry, and thankfully, I had two really good friends by my side that encouraged me and really helped me along. My husband ended up staying in the hospital for an entire week, due to the infection and post-op