Skip to main content

I'm Thankful...Aren't I?

After coming home from work, helping with homework, making dinner, baths, snacks and laundry, I actually made it to the gym. When I get home, the dishes are still in the sink, the kids are still awake and the house in in disarray. Before I continue, I need to point out that my wonderful husband does help around the house. He is a wonderful husband and an even greater dad. He was just as tired as I was from a long and exhausting day. Needless to say, I was a "little" upset(to say the least). So, I took off my sneakers and my jacket, rolled up my sleeves and began washing the dishes. As I washed and scrubbed, I grumbled and complained. "I can't believe the dishes aren't done, I mean, come on, I work just as hard. I work outside the home and inside the home and everywhere else and I deserve not to have to do the dishes sometimes"...and on and on and on. As I'm washing my pretty dishes, God interrupted my pity party, my complaining session. And He said, "Be Thankful!" "Thankful, Lord? Thankful? Don't you know I'm tired and exhausted, Lord?" All He repeated was, "Be Thankful!" "Okay, Okay....Fine!", I say to myself...(had my family looked over in my direction they may have seen me talking to myself, making these ugly faces, and definitely thought I was NUTS). Luckily, they did not or just haven't said anything. None-the-less, I said okay to God(which by the way is always a good idea to begin with) and started thanking Him for the dish I was washing, then for the glass, then for the soap, and then warm water, then for the food that He had provided for us and for the wonderful men that grace me with their delicious presence on a daily basis. "Okay, Father, I see what You're doing."
My attitude began to change, my heart became softer and gentler. My countenance changed and I was happy. This Thanksgiving thing was working. I began thanking him for people, friends and family...even some (notice I said some) of the hard times. I responded to my husband and children differently because I was thankful for them, because my heart was changed.
Being grateful or thankful is really so easy. I think that, like my husband said this morning, we live in a society that feels as if they are entitled. Everything is fast,quick, now and just like we like it. And if we don't like it then we expect it to be corrected and compensated. I know that there are times when the microwave isn't quick enough. You can now make a whole chicken in the microwave in 30 minutes as opposed to the normal 45 minutes to an hour. And since we are entitled, we "deserve" to buy those new Coach shoes or handbag. Or eat out whenever we want.
Whatever happened to just being content? Why are we trying to keep up with the Jones'? Or trying to get the next and newest gadget? What is so bad about your little apartment or home? What is so bad about the car you drive? So what that it isn't a Land Rover or BMW? Most people driving those cars can't afford them either and yet they are up at night wondering when the repo man is going to show up. There is nothing wrong with wanting nice things, pretty things. But there is something wrong with not being happy or content and thankful for what you do have. Knowing that your situation could be so much worse. And yes, it could be a lot worse. Don't believe for a second that you have it the worst. You may have it real bad. But thank God that there is still hope. Jesus is our hope. All the times in my life where there were trials and confusion, doubt and fear, Jesus was there to calm all of those things down. No one or Nothing can do that for me or for you.
Knowing that God holds everything in the palm of His hands.
Like a dear friend said just last week..."You either believe that He can or you believe that He can't. I believe that He can." And so do I! I believe that He can, because He has. He has done so much for me already. The situations and circumstances that He has brought me through has strengthened my faith in Him. I know that no matter what He is right there with me...whether I feel Him or not.
I am thankful for a God that loves me and loves me unconditionally. I am thankful for health and a body that functions well. I am so thankful for my amazingly sexy and wonderful husband and for my scrumptious munchkins(the apples of my eye). I am thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful for men and women who sacrifice their lives for us. That we live in a country that is free and where we can worship God openly.
I am thankful for our little two bedroom apartment, because it is warm, cozy and full of lots of crazy people and lots and lots of love.
What are you thankful for today? Let's cultivate an attitude of gratitude...not just for Thanksgiving day, but also for everyday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleeping Giant Needs to Wake Up!

Lately, I have been reading articles and watching the news and noticing that there is a trend going on. I don't know if you have noticed it or not. You may even be experiencing it at work or in your own community. Last night I read an article about ABC wanting to pilot a show called, "Good Christian B****es." It is a show about women in the church and their depiction. It is similar to "Desperate Housewives" in a whole other form. When the periodical "Christianity Today" was contacted about how offensive the name and content of the show was to them, they chose not to fall for the trap. But someone did say in the same article, "I would highly doubt that you would see a show titled, "Good Muslim B****es" or "Good Jewish B****es." Why is it okay for Christians to be bashed and depicted in such a manner. I am not naive to think that we are perfect or gossip-free. I have been in ministry long enough to know that we struggle with the

Push Me and I'll Push Harder

This week has been a week of intense emotion on many different levels. My husband was hospitalized after a misdiagnosis that could have been almost fatal had we not persisted in getting him to a different hospital. What should have been a minor procedure of removing a sick appendix turned out to be much worse because of the lapsed time between the misdiagnosis and the actual diagnosis. To see my husband, a strong and independent man, healthy and beautiful so drained and sick, made me sad and angry. I could not understand why this was happening, especially to him. During the surgery, I get a call from my mother that my youngest was sick with a fever. I was so torn and could not seem to take it anymore. My insides were a mess and all I wanted to do was scream, run and breakdown. I did cry, and thankfully, I had two really good friends by my side that encouraged me and really helped me along. My husband ended up staying in the hospital for an entire week, due to the infection and post-op

Crazy Like Life

Man, it's been crazy around here lately. I thought that after the holidays things would begin to slow down a bit. But I must say that the speed of life has gained momentum. Totally NUTS. But this is my life. Seasons come and seasons go. At Transformation Church things are more amazing every week. People are coming from all over to begin their spiritual journey. What an honor!!! That they would choose to come to TC. That they trust us enough to start here. There is a bible verse that says, " But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." When we gather as a team on Monday mornings to pray for the needs of our church, for the needs our community we are humbled to know that God would use us to do this great work, to think that He would choose us. With all sincerity, we weep at this knowledge. So as God continues to bring lives to us here @ TC things are getting busier. But man, are we excited! An